May 9, 2012

Pregnant Woman Jailed over Child Support

Brazil News

| SAO PAULO – On Monday, police in São Paulo arrested a 20-year-old, nine-months pregnant woman for failure to pay child support to her ex-husband. Jailers released her on Tuesday after her family settled the $300 debt with the father of her 3-year-old daughter, who has custody of the child, reported Brazilian online media.

Nine month pregnant Suellen spent the night in jail for delinquent child support payments

Suellen Spent Night in Jail (Photo: G1)

Visibly pregnant, Suellen left the Pindamonhangaba Jail in the interior of São Paulo state in the early afternoon Tuesday. On Monday, police in Taubaté summoned her to the station for questioning. Shortly after arriving, officers arrested her and booked her into jail because the court-ordered payments were six months behind.

“I didn't even know he had an order for me to pay child support. It happened without first communicating. I didn't know that there was a case against me,” said Suellen.

Suellen spent Monday night in jail. The delivery of her child is now scheduled for Thursday at 8 am.

She complained about the experience behind bars. “I was in pain, so much pain. They had to take me to the hospital. I was dilated,” she told G1. “I'm not a criminal, to arrive at the hospital with police, everyone is looking at me, saying, 'Oh look, a pregnant woman with police,' it's complicated,” she lamented.

Read also: Related Stories

Read also: More Articles from Brazil Dispatch

Do you like this post? Please link back to this article by copying one of the codes below.

HTML link code:

0 comments:

Post a Comment